Are these both cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by k9lin, Jun 1, 2011.

1. k9lin

k9lin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Hi all -

I would love your knowledge and assistance in helping me with these two young chickens. I have some 8 week old chickens - these two I am thinking are cockerels, but am hoping they aren't:

Chicken #1 is an EE - we hatched on April 1st.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've never had an EE before, and are those saddle feathers? The other EE that was hatched is a grey/brown coloring, a little smaller, but the feathers all down the back are more rounded.

Chicken #2 is a RIR, picked from the pullet bin at our local feed store. I've never had a RIR before - the comb and wattles look pretty prominent and red me, but I'd love your opinions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Dr Who

Dr Who Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I would say # 1 is a roo, # 2 not sure.

3. MallyCat22

MallyCat22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    Weed C.A
    I'm going to say that the EE is DEFINITELY a roo. Look at those shiny feathers coming in! I can also see some roosterish looking tail feathers.

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    My best guess is # 1 is a roo. I'm darn near positive of that. #2, I am saying hen.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The ee is a roo, the coloring is a dead giveaway. How old is the rir? I'm leaning toward roo, given the comb and thick legs, but age and a full body shot would help.

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    EE is definitely a roo, but I'm fairly certain that the RIR is a pullet. [​IMG]

7. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:ditto

8. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    If the RIR is 8 weeks old as mentioned in the first post, it is a roo. Also, judging by the legs, I'd still say roo.

9. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    I think they are both roos. The EE based on the coloring and the red comb. I also have a 9 week old RIR and her comb is still small and yellow.

10. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

The EE looks like a roo for sure, the RIR I am leaning toward pullet but you might try another picture, and how old is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by