Are these both magpies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dcannao, Dec 5, 2016.

1. dcannao

dcannao Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum and to ducks. I currently have 4 ducks in my yard. 1 Khaki Campbell drake, 1 call female, and I think 2 female magpies but I'm not sure after looking at pics online. The white female has also been laying an egg a day for the past 3 weeks. However, my drake has only been here for 1 week and I have witnessed some breeding. So I have 2 questions...1. Are they both magpies? 2. Can she begin producing fertile eggs now that breeding has occurred? Any/ all feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

The lighter of the two is definitely magpie; the other one looks like a magpie/swedish mix. She could be purebred, but isn't the best quality.

If you have seen the drake breeding her, then she is fertile. BUT there is a chance that she was breed by another drake (if she was recently bought). You would need to wait til spring to hatch babies anyway, so by then you could be sure of campbell/magpie babies.

Have fun!

3. dcannao

Dec 5, 2016
    I got her from a couple that raised her from a hatchling indoors and she was their only duck. She's 7 months old and had been laying for 2 weeks prior to me acquiring her.

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Oh, okay. Since she wasn't exposed to another drake you're safe. Still, wait til spring to hatch babies. Winter and ducklings don't mix.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    The darker one is a mix, Black Swedish X Magpie, Black Swedish X Ancona, or Rouen X Ancona cross most likely. The other one is likely a pure Magpie but the pattern is slightly off. Color/pattern is extremely hard to breed for in Magpies. She should have more black on her head, and the black should go down through her tail.

1 person likes this.
  6. dcannao

Dec 5, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Is this a better picture of her head and tail?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They are mixes......With pretty markings.......Possible Magpies?.....Not true of colour though......

Cheers!

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Much better picture. She's much nicer than the first picture portrays. Should have a larger, solid black cap but otherwise color is good. She looks a little big, but its hard to tell weight from a picture. APA classifies Magpies as a light duck.

9. dcannao

Dec 5, 2016
    [​IMG] And they also have Khaki Campbell's as light and my drake Khaki is even bigger than my Magpies!

10. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    What ever breed they are, they sure are beautiful :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by