Are these breeds typically quiet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymom99, Feb 4, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I am looking at adding to my flock and I need quiet chickens. When I say quiet, I expect (and enjoy) their clucks and egg songs and the such. It is just that I had a Salmon Faverolle who was like a foghorn all day long and she was bothering one of my neighbors and I had to find her a new home. I don't want to have to rehome any more chickens. I am considering:

Black Copper Marans
    Barred Rock
    Orpington
    Brahma

I know there can always be exceptions but in general, are these "quiet" chickens?

Thanks,
    CJ

Living in suburbia with my amazing husband, 2 wonderful boys, 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 Black Austrolorp, 1 Blue Andalusian, 1 Welsumer, 1 Ameracauna and 1 Gold-Laced Cochin.

2. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a barred rock, she is quiet. I've heard buff orpingtons are too. Not sure about the others.

3. Ragladysews

Ragladysews Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    NW Georgia
    My 2 barred rocks are very quiet. They sing when they lay and cluck quietly when they see me coming out to the coop, But they are nothing like the black sexlinks. Now if you want to talk about loud, have 3 Buff Brahma roosters. They are loud.

4. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    I don't know about other peoples experiences but my Buff Orps(what I started with)were the loudest girls in my coop, then we got other chickens and found that they are all loud at egg laying time,after a bit, quiet as church mice.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My orps are generally quiet though a couple will get loud at laying time. My barred rocks are quiet too. The mouthy one is a dark cornish lol. She is very opinionated and tells me all about it.

6. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    My EE is very quiet - but since she's a mixed breed, it's hard to know why. My Austrolorp is very chatty - she is the most interactive and follows me around talking to me constantly but doesn't make a lot of loud noise. My black sex linked, partridge rock, and GLW all have very loud egg calls especially early in the morning. I have four red sex-linked and they're all variable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by