Are these brown leghorns?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CHIC, Oct 13, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Another group from my MPC rainbow pullet special. I'm thinking brown leghorns?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    They are extremely flighty and do not like to be handled.

3. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Mine never had that stripe down the back of its head, but he turned out to be a rooster. He hated being handled also.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Look just like my Brown Leghorns did at that age. Looks like you got some nice pullets there. I think Brown Leghorns are really pretty birds.

5. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I think they are pretty too, but I just wish they were friendlier- and laid brown eggs. I got the rainbow pullet special from MPC and I think I got 4 brown leghorns and 6 white leghorns! I am hoping that some of my whites will be rocks. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

6. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I got the same special you got, but I got 10 Brown Leghorns. I'm hoping some are Welsummers as some have yellow legs and some have flesh colored legs. My 2 Barred Rocks look like yours also, I'm hoping for Cuckoo Marans (mine have white feet). I have 3 White Leghorns and 3 Polish and 2 Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. So if I have White Leghorns and Brown Leghorns, I will have a lot of white eggs. Not so much of a rainbow basket. Mine are 5 weeks old and feathering out nicely. See updated pictures here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=255637

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    I ordered the same special and have one who looks yours here. I'm not sure if its a brown leghorn or a welsummer. I'm waiting on the earlobes to appear before I give up hope that its a Welsummer.

My latest theories on mine are:
    1 brown leghorn or welsummer
    1 white crested blue polish
    1 white crested black polish
    3 white clochins
    1 blue or splash cochin (its a lighter blue than the polish)
    6 white leghorns or white rocks, waiting on earlobes on those as well
    3 silver spangled hamburgs
    2 silver lakenvelders
    2 golden campines
    2 black sumatras
    1 black that I'm not sure about. If I didn't have the two that I am sure are sumatras I would think it was a sumatra, but it looks different than the other two.
    1 white rock/leghorn, 1 white sultan and one white crested black polish didn't survive.

8. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    Does anyone know when those earlobes grown in? I can't remember as it was so subtle on my bigger girls. Just one day I said, "oh look red earlobes, who knew chickens had earlobes". Then did more research here on chicken earlobes and found LOTS of INFO!!!! Which I am eternally grateful to you guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by