1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these brown leghorns?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by catlvr976, May 23, 2007.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    I got these from Meyer hatchery. I didn't order them and have no idea what they are or if they're girls or boys. They are almost 5 1/2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you can see those pics. Thanks for the help!!
    Jessica

edited to add: the one in the last pic isn't blind, it must've been the flash that did that to his/her eye.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I say Partridge Rocks.
    Amy J.

3. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    That's what I was thinking, but then I saw a pic of a leghorn and I thought they might be those.

Is it too early to tell if they're roos or pullets?

4. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I'd say it might be bit before you can tell.
    Amy J.

5. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    The two in the first pic with black and white look like Barred Rocks.

6. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Yeah, I have 2 barred rocks and a dominique. I was curious about the striped brown ones with the reddish head.

Actually, I have a buff orpington, black australorp, 2 barred rocks, 2 gold laced wyandottes, a white rock, a RIR, a dominique, and those 2 that I don't know what they are.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Don't know the breed, but that is a Partridge. Very pretty!

8. DixieByrdRN

DixieByrdRN Out Of The Brooder

Here is my roo leghorn, I don't have a pic of my girls right now. BUT.. how old are they?My leghorns had very black rings around their eyes and the girls had almost Cleopatra like rings with a line going out before their teenage feathers came in. They also had a dark line of feathers down their back. Here is Doc at 6 weeks and he is a Brown leghorn roo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    his bootie feathers are a dark grey / black now.

9. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The penciled one in the first picture is feathered a lot like my Gold Campines. If it is a Gold Campine it is a rooster because my gold Campine hens have very small combs but the rooster has a very large one. It could very well be a Partridge rock like others have said. It is not a Brown Leghorn. Monty

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

the one in the last pic isn't blind, it must've been the flash that did that to his/her eye

That's the third eyelid!

Could be partridge but partridge tends to follow the contour of the feather in other words V shaped, that looks more like the straight barring you would find on a Campine.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by