are these brown or chocolate scovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Apr 19, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    does anybody have chocolate scovies?i'd like to see some pics [​IMG] i recentley bought some new scovies, from different sources and think i can make a nice breeding trio from three. i chose a mostly white male with light brown flecks, a mostly white female with light brown spots, and a mostly brown female with a white head. would they be a good combination? are they classed as brown or chocolate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    On the third page, I have pictures of my 'ducktweens'- you can see the brown feathers coming in my muscovy-cross. I was calling him chocolate. Im curious to see what the others tell you.
    Nice looking ducks!

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    oh your duckies are so cute!!

4. coptop89

coptop89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    S.E. Iowa
    Hi there...I'm fairly confident that the hen with the white head and chocolate body would be classified as a chocolate pied. For a muscovy to be classified as a solid color (blue, black, chocolate) there can only be so much white on it. I want to say their can be no more than 10% of white showing for it to be called a solid color. I could be wrong on that percentage though. The drake and the other hen I'm not so sure about. I have seen cream muscovies and that is was those two remind me of more than any other color.

Here's a pic of our solid chocolate drake (he's a little rough looking in this pic):
    [​IMG]

and here's our chocolate hen with babies from last fall:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps some!!

5. coptop89

coptop89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    S.E. Iowa
    Oh and just to add, brown=chocolate. They are one in the same but are usually refered to as chocolate. Also I just looked at the APA recognized varieties and they only recognize muscovy in solid black, chocolate, blue and white but there are certainly a lot more cool looking colors out there, like yours. I think your trio would make some great looking offspring!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by