Are these BSL's?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harleyjo, May 21, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    When they called me about my broiler chicks I asked if they had an overrun if they would throw in a couple more black sex links for the 2 I lost a few weeks earlier. I got three black pullets when I picked up my broilers. I am wondering if they are all BSL. Two of them have a lot of white on their chest and 2 of them have white tips at the end of some of their wing feathers.[​IMG]][/img]

What do you think?

These are a little more than a week old and they came from Hoover Hatchery. Hoover has Barred Rocks and Black Austrolopes and I wondered about them too. One of the chicks is all black but the other 2 have a lot of white on their stomachs and necks, just hard to get the pics.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Any thoughts anyone?

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco 8 Years

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    At least the two darker ones look like BSLs.

4. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    The one on the left looks a lot like my Australorp when she was a little fluff butt.

[​IMG]

5. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    The two all black ones look like BSLs, the other looks more like a Black Australorp

Australorp a week or so older than yours
    [​IMG]

One of my BSLs
    [​IMG]

6. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I need to try to get some better pictures tomorrow. You can't see it in these pictures but 2 of them have the white stomaches. There is only one real black one. The other 2 look very much alike. Are the white tips on the feathers characteristic of the Black Austroplopes? I also saw a pic of the Barred Rock and that looks kinda like them also. These 2 breeds have chicks that look a lot alike.

7. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    I think the barred rocks usually have white on the top of their heads.

Here's my barred rock at a week or so old:

[​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    2 BSL and an Australorp.

9. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I tried to get some more pics. It is hard because they don't like the camera...lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/img][​IMG]

The above images are the 3 black chicks but as you can see from these pics 2 of them have more white on them not just one. So do you still think 2 BSL?

Now I am adding one more pic from my first batch that were suppose to be black sex links but I had a different one in with them. I just don't think it is a black sex link. The coloring of legs and everything is different on this chick. She is almost 6 weeks old now.[​IMG][​IMG][/img]

The chick in the last pic. that is all black or black with some of the red barring is how all my other BSL's look. Is this really still considered a black sex link chick with this much variation?

10. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Here are a couple pics of my newest barred rock at 1 week old. She has white tips on her wings just like yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: