Are These "Business Casual"?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 9, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I am starting a new job (yay!) on Nov. 21. I've never worn "business" or "business casual" attire before to work, so I'm perplexed. I've done it for job interviews and such, but was always uncomfortable thanks to heels.

Since I will now be spending 8 hour days in my "business" attire, I want to be practical, yet professional.

Do these shoes, when worn with slacks, say "business casual"? I will only wear flats as there are stairs, and I am on a budget. I already bought the purple ones, because they're purple!

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=mossimo+oran&category=0|All|matchallany|all+categories

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes those will work fine. Business casual is not what it used to be. All it means now is don't wear jeans and t-shirt.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    [​IMG]

Thanks Debi for the advice..you know, before and after!

Can't WAIT! After 7 years...goodbye Wal-Mart!

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Those look good! I always wear Clarks, swear by them. They work well in a job where you stand a lot or where you sit. The other day they worked great walking a stupid horse back to my barn for 5 miles on a dirt road in the middle of the night. [​IMG] Good shoes!

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I think it would be fine.Observe what others wear.I would not wear anything that was uncomfortable.

Stock up for cheap at thrift stores.I see great suits and dresses for less that $10 at our local thrift.

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Business casual varies depending on the industry and particular office.

The only reason this office isn't casual is because the women would show up to work in pajamas.
    On casual Friday, the men leave off the neck tie, the women wear jeans, sweat pants, t-shirts and flip flops.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

God I hate business shoes! Not the look of them, but I have never found a pair in my life that was comfortable. [​IMG]

I bought sneakers that looked more like shoes than sneakers. They weren't cross-trainers, so that's a plus. [​IMG] I know how you feel about heels though!

8. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Looks good to me. Walmart has great ones!!! I have a pair in black and all they have is a simple silver buckle. I have many from there. Also dont know if you have a Ross or Stein Mart where you are but those are good places to. And good for a budget.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    It really depends on where you work and where you live on what is considered "business casual". Overdressing slightly in the first few weeks is much better than under dressing. Those first few weeks will make a lasting impression. After a few weeks you will have a very good idea of what is considered appropriate for your workplace. If you have a day or two before you start, go to the work place while people are arriving for the day; it will give you a good idea of what to expect.

I would think that decent slacks, tops (even T-shirts if properly done) that look good and a casual sweater or jacket would be appropriate. Most closed-toed shoes that aren't sneakers should be okay. If you are going to be on your feet a lot, spending some extra money on shoes is a good idea. I second the thrift store idea. I volunteer at the local Serving Center. A Talbots suit will cost you $10, and you can wear the pieces as separates.

That being said; in general the old south and the northeast are going to be dressier business casual than the west, northwest or midwest.

My husband has worked for large computer companies for the last 25 years. The I-one was much more formal in the east coast when he started than here in Texas many years later. For him, a software guy, business casual means shorts or long pants, depending on the season and a collared shirt. If he is meeting a customer, a very rare event, it is usually Docker type pants, dressier shoes and a nicer shirt. My 13-year-old son wears a tie more often than my dh.

10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Definitely depends on where you work, and what type of job it is, as well as the individual job atosphere. Simple slacks and a button up shirt are pretty easy to get away with not being over or underdressed though, since they are so 'neutral' in style. Congrats on the job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by