1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these chicken feet normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HilldaleChicks, Dec 27, 2016.

1. HilldaleChicks

HilldaleChicks Just Hatched

Sep 29, 2016
    Aniwa, WI
    I have 10 hens. They are all 7 months old. I notice that one Sussex and one Barred Rock have darkened areas on there feet that the other hens of the same breed don't have. Just an anomalie or something to be concerned about. We live in Northern WI. It's cold here but no body has frostbite and all of the hens are laying most days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think that that can be normal coloring. In the one above, that is the normal coloring of a barred rock female, while the males don't have that dark stripe on top. I have seen the spotting in the second picture in a couple of my ancona hens.

3. HilldaleChicks

HilldaleChicks Just Hatched

Sep 29, 2016
    Aniwa, WI
    Thank you Eggcessive!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are you sure it's not mud or poop stains? Another cause of dark discoloration on feet and legs is bruising. Chickens sometimes bruise legs and feet getting up on perches or dismounting.

But otherwise, those feet are classically perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by