Are these chickens or rooster

sarahb88

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
[/IMG]

I just got 7 chickens and I think I brought home too many roosters? In the first picture I'm wondering about the black and white one and the red one. I am positive I got one rooster because of his outburst in the morning. Thank you for reading!

First, welcome to BYC.

All chickens are chickens, but they do come in two sexes, like everything else. LOL The males, when small are called cockerels and when they are older are called roosters.

The females when young are called pullets and when they are older are called hens.

The photos are not the best, but they're good enough to see that you have 2, perhaps 3 males there. Individual photos, full body shots, of each bird is best, but yes, you've certainly got more than one male in that pen.

Last edited:
Hi!

You have some nice looking birds. They do not look to be very old. If those are the only 7 you have, you'll probably want to get some more hens if you are going to keep all of them. I had three roosters in my previous flock of 9. Since I raised them together from two days old, they had an established pecking order and got along just fine. I loved them too much to get rid of or eat any of them (it was my first flock of chickens), but my little hens paid the price. In the spring time those boys would be on the poor girls so much they had a hard time keeping feathers.

That's what I thought. That means I have 3 roosters and 5 hens... All of the 7 I just got we're in the same flock. Do u think I will have issues with these guys?

welcome-byc.gif
You really need photos of the chickens individually especially showing the face so we can see if the comb and wattles (if any) and also a sideview of whole body.

I can see 4 of them in one picture(one has head cut off) but the other 3 look to be cockerels. One male can take care of 8-10 hens, so 3 males is just too much unless you get several more hens

Back
Top Bottom