Are these chicks all the same breed? Sold as New Hampshire Reds but I have doubts....

mintdeer

Songster
8 Years
Dec 24, 2014
Got these 6 chicks from a local feed store a week ago (so they're probably about 1.5 weeks old now) the guy said they were all New Hampshire Reds. I pointed out the different colors and he said they would all grow up the same despite being different colors now. I've never raised New Hampshire Reds before and it's been a long time since I've had chicks, but it seems weird to me that these will all grow up looking the same given how different they look? I would love to hear thoughts from more experienced chicken raisers!

This was taken a few days ago. Two are dark brown with "chipmunk" patterns, one has similar patterning but lighter, and the other 3 are varying shades of light yellow with some gray on the top of their head.
IMG_9005.JPG

More recent picture. You can see their wing and tail feathers coming in more (except one yellow one, no tail feathers yet). All of them together, you can see the color/pattern differences.
IMG_9044.JPG

These two are the most different. The first one is also the biggest of the bunch right now.
IMG_9042.JPG

IMG_9043.JPG

Last edited:
We got them from a local family owned feed store, I'm assuming they got them from a hatchery since they had 120 of them.

Back
Top Bottom