Are these chicks from a breeder less heathy?

Eblo

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Hi everyone,

Sorry so long-

I am a little over 2 years in chicken-keeping. The first year and a half I have purchased many bantam TSC chicks and day-old from mail order, My Pet Chicken. Out of probably 40 chicks, I only lost one on day 2. So a pretty good track record. I never even thought about it, and I know all the basics about feed, brooder temps, pasty butt, etc. Basically, I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable.

Fast forward to the past 4 months. I decided to purchase fertile eggs and some young chicks from 2 local breeders. I am getting more into silkies, showgirls, and Polish. Out of these birds, I just lost my 5th one due to unexplained circumstances when it was closer to 2 weeks. They seem to have been failure to thrive, although the breeder claims she has not had this with her line.

I think one was lost due to trampling, which completely my fault for putting 2 age groups over 2 weeks diff. But I haven’t done it since and am doing everything else the same as I always have: super clean brooder and dishes, electrolytes, temps good. This chick had a quick decline and died within 4 hours! I did nutridrench, separated him, made sure he drank… dead 😞

Why are these chicks dying?? Is it because designer breeds, genetics, inbreeding, not being vaccinated? The breeders seem to have very clean and reputable businesses but maybe I should be doing greater due diligence?

Any insight is very greatly appreciated! I would like to stick to silkie lines and need to understand this better!

I decided to purchase fertile eggs and some young chicks from 2 local breeders.
Is it chicks from just one breeder or from both breeders? Was it just chicks you hatched or a mix of hatched and chicks purchased? Other than that one at 2 weeks, what happened to the other four? What were the ages and symptoms? Was it birds from all three groups (Silkies, Polish, Showgirls) or just one? Were there any marks on the bodies?

Why are these chicks dying?? Is it because designer breeds, genetics, inbreeding, not being vaccinated?
I don't do Silkies or Polish so I don't have any direct experience with them. I vaguely remember something about the Silkies vaulted skull may make them vulnerable. Can't think of anything to do with Polish. It is possible it is something to do with one of those but unlikely. It is unlikely to do with vaccinations. That's too young for Marek's to be a problem and if your brooder is fairly dry it is unlikely to be Coccidiosis. Most people don't vaccinate for other things, besides your TSC chicks were almost certainly not vaccinated. If a breeder were having those issues they should know about it from other customers if not her own experiences.

Without more clues I can't even hazard a guess. I don't know how many total chicks you had but five sounds like way too many. Something is wrong.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I will say that I believe Polish are pretty fragile. I don't have a ton of experience with them, but I have issues with my 2 Polish, so I read a ton about them, and the consensus seems to be that they are prone to problems.

I also know that when you hatch your own, it can be tricky. Chicks that have difficult hatches wouldn't be sold if they are weak or failing to thrive. Were any of the ones you lost from the hatching eggs? How many chicks did you add this year? Some loss is unfortunately expected, even though you have an excellent track record.

I have had a bad year, too, having lost 2 chicks this year. I had chicks shipped this year, which I don't like doing and won't do again.

Is it chicks from just one breeder or from both breeders? Was it just chicks you hatched or a mix of hatched and chicks purchased? Other than that one at 2 weeks, what happened to the other four? What were the ages and symptoms? Was it birds from all three groups (Silkies, Polish, Showgirls) or just one? Were there any marks on the bodies?

I don't do Silkies or Polish so I don't have any direct experience with them. I vaguely remember something about the Silkies vaulted skull may make them vulnerable. Can't think of anything to do with Polish. It is possible it is something to do with one of those but unlikely. It is unlikely to do with vaccinations. That's too young for Marek's to be a problem and if your brooder is fairly dry it is unlikely to be Coccidiosis. Most people don't vaccinate for other things, besides your TSC chicks were almost certainly not vaccinated. If a breeder were having those issues they should know about it from other customers if not her own experiences.

Without more clues I can't even hazard a guess. I don't know how many total chicks you had but five sounds like way too many. Something is wrong.
Okay here is a breakdown of the chicks:

1. From Breeder A - hatching egg- assisted hatch. Showgirl. Died 12 hours after hatch. Could not sit up- last one from the incubator. No way this one could’ve made it.

2. From Breeder A - hatching egg- died a week after hatch. Was very small black silkie and kept flipping onto its back and was dead in morning.

3. From Breeder A-hatching egg- died a few days later the same way. Silkie.

4. From Breeder B- very small Showgirl - possible trample from bigger a bigger silkie. Completely my fault.

5. From Breeder B- silkie in video- 10-12 days. Mystery.

So all silkies/showgirls. From 2 breeders. 3/5 were from eggs I hatched in incubator but of those only 1 was immediate. 2/5 were babies when I got them.

Okay here is a breakdown of the chicks:

1. From Breeder A - hatching egg- assisted hatch. Showgirl. Died 12 hours after hatch. Could not sit up- last one from the incubator. No way this one could’ve made it.

2. From Breeder A - hatching egg- died a week after hatch. Was very small black silkie and kept flipping onto its back and was dead in morning.

3. From Breeder A-hatching egg- died a few days later the same way. Silkie.

4. From Breeder B- very small Showgirl - possible trample from bigger a bigger silkie. Completely my fault.

5. From Breeder B- silkie in video- 10-12 days. Mystery.

So all silkies/showgirls. From 2 breeders. 3/5 were from eggs I hatched in incubator but of those only 1 was immediate. 2/5 were babies when I got them.
Hatching eggs = riskier than buying established chicks. These chicks would not be sold. The trampled one seems like you know what happened. You're right - the Silkie death is a mystery. Could be any number of things: coccidiosis, temperature, injury, something internal present from hatch...

Back
Top Bottom