We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Are these chicks hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Namelesschick, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    [​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] They are 6 weeks old. It’s one Hamburg and one Chaamse hoen (a Dutch breed) one of them is gonna have a rosecomb.

2. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    1 and 3 are cockerels. 2 is a pullet.

Namelesschick likes this.
  3. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Are you sure? On a different site I asked and 2 people said they were pullets...

4. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Songster

Nov 28, 2017
    Pullets just shouldn’t have combs that size at 6 weeks old. I have a Leghorn pullet, they’re notorious for their huge floppy combs, but her comb was still small and yellow till she started laying at 21 weeks. I’m confident he’s a cockerel (the Chaamse Hoen). You can post more pics when he’s 12 weeks old, if you want, by then his comb/wattles should be red and you should start seeing pointed saddle feathers coming in.

5. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Alright, thanks! I’ll keep you updated!

6. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Hey,
    I just noticed something about these chicks, they both have these small bumps on their legs, is this a spur? Is this a sign that they are both males?

7. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    They are also starting to develop wattles, isn’t this a little early at 6 weeks old?

8. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Those small bumps are where spurs grow, but it is not a gender specific trait. Hens can also have the nubs (and grow spurs).

9. Namelesschick

Namelesschick Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    alright thanks! And what about the wattles? Does that mean they’re males?

10. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Eventually both genders get wattles, however, it's common for those of cockerels to become evident and often start to turn pink, or red by six weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: