Are these chicks in trouble???? Advice needed plz...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teresa-78, Sep 30, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I had 8 eggs pip over tuesday and wednesday 5 have hatched out fine, and are so cute... but 2 I know for sure pipped on tuesday and have made no other progress, they we peeping and moving yesterday, but today nothing its been around 37-38 hours since they first pipped, but its hard to really tell if they are alive and making any movements as the hatched chicks are loud and kicking the remaining eggs around... what do I do.. remove the chicks to a brooder and keep watch on the remaining eggs or try and help these 2 eggs I know for sure pipped tuesday... I dont know what to do for the best.. advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Great that you got 5 hatched!
    I am no expert whatsoever as I have only hatched one lot of eggs in a incubator but I had a few that pipped and moved and didn't hatch. I opened them up after a few days and they looked fully grown but for whatever reason they didn't come out. I have read alot about it and most people say if they can't get out on their own they aren't strong enough to survive!
    I did help one along that had cracked the egg slightly and it was fine but to be honest if I did it again (which i said i never would as i can't cope with the stress lol) I would let them get on with it!

Probably haven't helped you much here but am sure someone that knows what they are talking about will be along soon!

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    My advice would be--get the shower running in the bathroom, shut the doors in the bathroom and let it get nice and humid in there. Move the incubator in there quickly (but don't tip anything over). Open it briefly in the very humid bathroom and get the chicks and the pipped eggs out, and then once you've put the incubator back where it belongs, help the pipped eggs. Generally my policy is if nothing has happened at all in twenty-four hours on an egg with pipping or zipping, something is wrong. It's likely that some of the membrane could've dried and the chicks may need some help.

I hope that helps! I did this today and I'm glad I did--the chick I helped hadn't moved in around thirty-six hours (even though I could see it through the fairly large hole it made). Turns out a little bit of the membrane dried out around the hole it made and its little wing got stuck to it! The chick is perfectly healthy and just had a little "roadblock".

Good luck, I hope your babies are still all right!

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Thanks very much for your advice, just got back from the school run and another chick has hatched, so 6 in total, but still no sign from the silver laced polich or the silkie egg which pipped tuesday, I am going to help them, but first I am going to get the hatched chicks into the brooder, then see if I can see or hear anything....brooders all set up and ready to go.. I dont have a shower, could I fill a bath with hot water and that will still give the same effect?? I will let you know how I get on [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited to add, there were 12 eggs in total but 2 were late quitters, and another 2 must have died as they never pipped and never peeped, so in theory these are the only 2 left that pipped and were ready to hatch,

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Good advice

6. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Well sadly the silver laced polish was dead [​IMG] but I have never seen anything like it before, its beak was stuck through its wing... meaning it had pipped through its wing the the shell!!!!!!! know I know thats not normal... has anyone heard of this before?? the silkie is still alive..just... its back in the bator, but this was a strange one also... it had a piece of something like a rubber tube in and across its mouth, just like a horse bit.. if you understand what im saying, so it was stuck and could not move.... oh I hope it lives, but it not looking good, there was some blood on the pip and in the egg [​IMG]

I have another that had pipped must of been yesterday but the membrane was all grey so I started it on its way but it looks like the inner membrane has stuck it in place... what do I do??

And another that has pipped is cheaping but not pipped a hole, do I leave this one and the other but just keep an eye on them??? oh help [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I thought these 2 were dead as heard nothing from them at all...... and there is a horrid smell coming from the bator [​IMG]

7. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    The silkie seems to be picking up.. I helped the little polish, he/she was stuck real tight, it is not looking great so fingers crossed...im sure if I had not of helped it would not of hatched... still one egg with a little pip, im going to leave this one but keep a close eye to see if it hatches by itself... thanks for your advice I really appreciate it

8. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. My second hatch was like this...everything that could have gone wrong did and by the time we decided to step in we only saved one...which died a day later. Helping is a slippery slope, which is probably another reason so many say not to. When is the right time? When do you stop? The stress and frustration (in my case some guilt for not saving them all) can be just too much. [​IMG]

You are doing a great job and hanging in there. Just please don't let this discourage you from the whole process. It is heartbreaking to lose some and question if you could do more, but the joy of seeing some of those lives start and flourish makes it all worthwhile! [​IMG]

9. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    Newbie here with my first pip of my first hatch! I'm so nervous! The egg was jumping around last night when I went to bed and now it has a tiny pip hole and he's chirping! No change in the other 7 yet. How soon should my little pipper make some progress?

Now I have to sit here on pins and needles all day. I'm so afraid we'll lose electric in this storm - we always lose electric! I'll have to lay on the couch with the eggs on my stomach. Wonder what's on HSN and QVC today...

10. ginznchix

ginznchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    South Jersey
    Quote:Duh... if there's no electric there's no TV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by