Are these chicks sex linked and if so, what gender are they? (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Simcha, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Simcha

Simcha New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    One of my broody hens hatched 7 of 9 eggs placed under her. 2 of the eggs hatched came from: Silver Spangled Hamburg roo and Welsummer hen. 5 of the eggs hatched came from: Silver Spangeled Hamburg roo and Delaware hen. I don't quite have a grasp on the genetic aspect but was wondering if these combinations produce sex linked chicks. The chicks hatched from Delaware eggs are 2 distinct groups - one mostly black, the other group has white markings on top of the head. The Welsummer chicks hatched both have the "eye liner" which typically means female, but would that be the case with this mix? Thank you for your help in determining the sex of these chicks.

[​IMG]
    Delware mix chicks (note mostly black vs. white on the heads)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Welsummer mix chick on left, Delware mix on right

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Those chicks are sadly not sexlinked. That only works if the rooster is some sort of red/buff colour and the hen a silver/white. So if you had a welsumer roo over silverspangled and delaware hens then those chicks would be sexlink. but the roo being the "Silver" in the equation it wont work.

3. Simcha

Simcha New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you for your reply! I will just have to enjoy them as I wait to see what they become.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by