Are these chicks Welsummers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andora, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I bought these as Welsummers, but the seller wasn't 100% sure since they came in a hatchery rare breeds mix. (From Meyer.) They look a little different than Welsummer chicks I've had previously. I had a fleeting thought that they could be Phoenix chicks? I don't know much about that breed though.

What do you think? Both pictures are the same chick, but I have two of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if you need more detailed pictures of anything on them. They are EXTREMELY fast and flighty!

2. columbusguys

columbusguys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Columbus
    We also got what we thought were welsummers from Meyer. I think they may be light brown leghorns, though. Mine are also pretty quick, and can fly much better than the other breeds we picked up. I don't know how "rare" brown leghorns are, though.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They look like roosters to me because of the combs. They dont look like my Welsummer chicks but coming from a hatchery it could either be Brown Leghorns or Welsummers.

I would wait for the white earlobes to pop up before I would know what they are for sure yet!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    They shouldn't be roos, they were from an order of all pullets and the combs aren't red at all. I hope they aren't roos!

5. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Any other opinions?

6. MilkMaid

MilkMaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    I have some welsummer chicks right now, and they don't look much like that. They come from Welp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by