Are these Craig's List Girls Past their Egg Laying Days?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeftAtAlbuquerque, Jan 19, 2014.

1. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque Out Of The Brooder

I've had these two girls for 8 days now. They are healthy, happy, and they've integrated just fine. No problems. But NO EGGS! What gives? They don't look old, but then again, I'm no expert. The weather has been great - high 50's during the day. What do you think? Are they holding out, or should I not expect anything?
    [​IMG]
    Roadrunner (Brown Leghorn)

[​IMG]

Speckles (Golden Laced Wyandotte)

2. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    They need 14 hours of light. We are in socal, we also have nice warm weather, and I got five 2 yr old re-home chickens. DH put a light on a timer in their make shift coop to make up for the lack of day light hours. This did the trick and now they are laying. We are at about 10 hours of natural light. We also have feed and water in the coop so they can snack when they are sitting around in the light.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would be very pleasantly surprised if you reported that they had started laying already. I think the norm is about 3 weeks in a new place before a hen gets around to blessing you with her hen fruit. I would be patient. :)

4. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Hi! I would give them 3-4 weeks to settle in before expecting eggs. Chickens need 12-14 hours of light a day, so unless you provide supplemental lighting- you probably won't get eggs until the days start getting longer again in spring. Also, if they are older and just coming out of a molt, it might take them a little longer to start laying. We have chickens that are 5-6 years old that still lay eggs 3-4 times a week! Good luck!

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    It's hard to tell the age of a bird just by looking at them. They may come around in due time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by