Are these crops normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kennedyscochins, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I have standard cochins. Most of them go to bed with a golf ball sized crop, but are fine the next day. No signs of distress, nothing that really worries me. I am just wondering, does this mean I feed them too much? They free range during the day and have laying pellets if they want them. I do give them a treat every once in a while (I gave them oatmeal today). Any help would be great!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sounds perfectly normal. Their crops should be full by the end of the day when they go to roost and empty in the morning. If they are not empty by morning, then you have a problem.

3. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Thank you.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Golf Ball size?

Some of mine go to bed/roost with baseball size crops. Ok, so mine are pigs with their food. They pick all day, but fill up just before going to roost. Everything is normal.

Matt

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Sounds perfectly normal! Full at the end of the day, empty when they wake up-- just like our bellies [​IMG] You should see my chickies after a day of foraging outside!! I don't know how they can walk with those huge things!

Quote:

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Know the feeling. Crops so full that the feathers are parted out of the way, but let the little vultures see you coming with something to eat - whether it's for them or not - and they will find the room to eat it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  7. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Golf ball is rather small for an evening crop- maybe you need to feed them more! Mine have lemons & potato sized crops....

8. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Okay, so I guess it's just golf ball because most of them are not fully grown. The bigger ones do have crops that could take up the palm of my hand when I pick them up. But as long as nothings wrong, I will let them eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by