Are these DQ's on the Silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Germaine_11.20, May 14, 2010.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi, I could use your help on determining if these are pet quality Silkies. I think they are. One is of a buff hen. Why is her tail that color, and she seems to have some shades of white blended in. Also she doesn't have turquoise earlobes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I have two light colored Cuckoo Silkie Roos. One has a single comb so I know he is DQ'd but the other one has a walnut comb but I only see red ear lobes not turquoise. I wasn't sure if due to the color variation if his red earlobes were acceptable or not. Also, the combs are quite red and I think (?) they shouldn't be red (?) More of a Mulberry?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you to all who help!

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Songster

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    lol i like silkies with single combs any idea how he got the single comb and normal silkie feathers?

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I bought these off ebay and I think because Cuckoo is still fairly "new" there are alot of isssues to work out. I am just not sure if these are worth working with or if they are too DQ'd to consider.

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    On the Cuckoo- I would not breed them. Too DQ'ed. The Buff- I hate non-bearded. But that's just my opinion. Type looks poor, and she does have some blue in her feathers, but so do many others that people are breeding, from what I have seen. So maybe breed the Buff to an excellent Buff Roo who is a little darker. [​IMG]

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you! So that must be what is wrong with the color on the tail? Blue? Well, I don't have any Buff Roos so I guess I will try and sell her as pet quality!

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    on the cuckoos it is extremely hard to get rid of the red comb this roos comb is mottled
    [​IMG]
    yours lacks distinct barring you should breed him to black hens if you decide to breed him. sometimes single combs crop up in cuckoo because they came from barred cochins. I don't know much about buff.

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    I would say they are all just pet-quality. The hens body shape doesnt look right to me and the roos have red single combs. I think they are all adorable though and i would love to get my hands on some cuckoos [​IMG]

8. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:Thank you, that helped alot! I have a darker pair of Cuckoos and the barring on them is very good. At least I won't be as concerned about the comb color on them. Unfortunately I only have a black roo, no hen. I do have two beautiful blues from allaboutdemchicks though! Would they work? Here are a couple of pictures of them (sorry I took them through the wire because it was late and I was to tired to crawl in there with them and take pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thank you Americana-chick I do enjoy them. And they are really sweet birds.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not all cuckoo silkies came from cochins.

10. Not all cuckoo silkies came from cochins.

Hi! Curiosity makes me ask... What other cross(es) were used to make cockoo Silkies?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: