Are these Easter Eggers?

Layin Eggs

Songster
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
South Eastern, MA
Hello Everyone, First of all I would like to say what a great site this is. My husband and I are very new to chickens. We adopted 20 chickens in late september. I believe we have 18 pullets and 2 definate roosters. We were told that we were given Barred Rocks, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Ameraucanas. I am sure about the barred rocks and wyandottes, but not too sure about the others. After reading alot on the site I am guessing that some may be EE's and maybe a few Ameraucana (some have definate beards and muffs.

I was able to get a couple of pics of the few i'm confused about.
(looks like white earlobes and Blackisk legs?)
Any guesses?

hens020-Copy.jpg

hens013-Copy.jpg

Neither one seems to quite fit the criteria for Ameraucana's,
so I' d guess the top one is an EE, probably an Ameraucana that didn't breed true I'm guessing.

The bottom one i'm not really sure on.

Those are both EEs, very likely. EEs can have muffs/beards or be clean faced. An EE is basically any cross breed mutt, but a typical EE is an Ameraucana crossed with another breed to produce any colored egg. Eggs could be blue, green, brown and any color in between.

Jody

Thats what I was thinking, but wanted others opinions so that when someone asked me what type of hen they are I could feel more sure about answering them. Thanks.....now the waiting game to see what color the eggs will turn out.
(I really hope to get some sky blue)
cool.png

Last edited:
The neat things about americanas or EE is that they can look like anything and lay those wonderful colored eggs. I always love hatching mutts since you never know what will hatch and their eggs all taste the same..lol I like having all different colored chicks instead of all that look alike. My eggs might not sell very good since they are mixes but I love having all the different color in the yard and most of my standard eggs are sold to eat. Hope you have some wonderfully colorful eggs. Jenn

Well this is quite ironic. one of my EE's laid their 1st egg today. Here is my 1st greenish colored egg. It is cool to see a colored egg , but I have to say I was hoping for a more blue colored egg. Hopefully one of them will give me a blue egg......
big_smile.png

1stEEegg008.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm sure this was just an oversite, and it's been corrected many times before, but here goes again:
Yes its true EE's can look like just about anything however,

ameraucana's can only look like this
If they don't look like that, they get to be called EE's.

Grats on the green Egg btw
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom