Are these EE's roos or ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kenshan1, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Today one of the EE's got out of the tractor we made & the dogs had cornered it. I came to the rescue but noticed this chick's rear feathers had really changed. When on alert their tail feathers stick straight up off the rear & there was 2 single feathers on either side stuck straight out. Just seemed like fancy tails starting. Bird wasn't hurt by the dogs. Once back in the pen I noticed that both the EE's were this way. Getting pictures was very hard since they all were a little nervous. Didn't help I made my sheltie, who had been chasing them from the outside, come in & do a down stay. So here's my best attempt at pictures with my slow camera phone (nice for slow moving animals not chickens lol). Pictures don't seem to show what I had seen. We are guessing they are about 8wks this week, the brown ones are the ones I am wondering about but if you see out of the other ones a possible roo too that would be good to know.

Shannon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They are pullets.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pullets.

4. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Oh good, these were my favorite because they looked like chipmunks before they got all their feathers. Plus with all the black colored chicks we have I liked having the other colors. We are new to chickens but my husband's rule is if any are Roos then they are first to get eaten. I was worried about these.

Shannon

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 8 weeks, you'll want to look at combs, as feather differences don't really start happening till 12-16 weeks when sickle and hackles come in.

As for rooster, I worry about the comb development of the BR on the right hand side of the first pic/left hand side of the third pic.

6. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Quote:Last week I did ask about those other ones. I was told they aren't BR but are Cuckoo Marans & most said pullets. So I guess I just need to wait. One of them is larger body then the rest so we'll see.

Shannon

7. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    These birds change so much in a week or 2. I will be getting more pictures hopefully Thursday. We built a roost next to the wall where I can stand & look at the birds closely when they are on the roost in the coop. I noticed the EE's now have a hint of green color in their tails, normal for a pullet? The neck feathers are looking more sharp looking but their coloring is very pencil like now around the neck so maybe that is giving the look of pointy feathers when it might not.

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by