Are these Eggs dead? Candeling pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSkiveez, Jul 30, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    These are two seperate hatches

Blue Polish (Went in on the 26th)
    This is a newly laying hen and a young roo. I've never seen him mate her. I've not opened any eggs from this pen to check fertility (I'm too impatient and wanted to hatch a chick)
    [​IMG]

Silkie (Laid on 12th, went in on 14th)
    To me, the contents seem a bit "sloshy" even with slight movements.
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The first one is a no go. The second one may have a chick, but not if it is sloshy, try listening to it a live chick nearing hatching will cheep .

3. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Yea, first one is a no go, that's a blood ring and they're known for causing havok on other eggs, especially if it explodes in the incubator. I'm still new to candling, so with eggs like your 2nd one, I give it a bit longer to "make sure" before I toss one that I have like that. Just mark it and recheck in a few days. If no progress is made, then I would imagine it's no good.

4. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I'm new to hatching also. I think I have had 3 or 4 hatches.

Does anyone know if the blood ring would indicate that egg was factually fertile?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yes, the blood ring indicates it was (most likely) fertile.

6. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Happy this thread was started because I'm on day 8 as of today. I have 4 or 5 eggs like pic #1. Is it too early for me to toss them out? About what day should I toss out if I'm worried about a bomb?

7. NoSkiveez

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Quote:That's good to know!

8. CuddleBug Ranch

CuddleBug Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2010
    Lisbon, NY
    I'm currently on Day 17 of my very first hatch and we've had to toss three eggs so far. However, I knew when every one of them went bad, as I could smell it. Then when I determined which one was bad, I removed it and put it in about three ziplock bags and then opened it. Sure enough, each one was bad. We've been candling every day, too and watched closely for veins. One of the clues that the egg was no good, was the fact that we didn't see any veins nor movement. Ours are hard to tell for sure, as they are brown eggs, but get them in just the right spot, and we would see a foot, or a beak move. So amazing watching as they develop! Our incubator is a brooder lamp and an old fish aquarium.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes on 1, it has died.... not sure on second one could go either way.

If there is a blood ring, the egg was fertile and the embryo died causing the blood ring

10. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    Quote:I agree sorry to say hope the others turn out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by