Are these eggs edible?

lizardz

Songster
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
A couple of my girls have just started laying, while most of the others have not. I have two dishes of food out - layer crumble and starter (medicated). I never really thought about it, but I saw someone mention something about how long do you have to wait for the medicated feed to be out of their system for the eggs to be ready to eat. So my question is, are the eggs I'm getting okay to eat, or do I need to wait until everyone has switched over to layer crumble and let them get the medicated feed out of their system? Should I continue with the two feeds (most of them are around 20 weeks, but a few are at 16 weeks) or just put out layer mix? Thanks for your help - I know someone out there knows the answer to this question!

If the medication in the feed is Amprolium, there is no waiting period at all. You can mix the feeds, no problem, or just put out the layer feed if it's too difficult. At 16 weeks, they aren't far from laying age, and although it isn't a perfect situation for the younger ones to be eating the layer feed, it isn't anything to really worry about at their age. I have the same situation with some 15 week olds myself.

Thanks, everyone, for setting aside my concerns. Certainly didn't want to be throwing out my babies first eggs! I don't have the feed bag as I put all the feed in containers to keep other critters from eating it (including my horses), but I have to go to the feed store today, so I'll check the label. Now if I can just get them to lay in the nesting boxes. One lays in the corner of the coop and the other lays on top of the nesting boxes - hope the others don't learn bad habits from those two. I know the boxes are being checked out because every day I go in the coop the "eggs" I've put in the boxes are all over the floor. I hope they're a little more careful when it's their eggs! Silly girls.

Liz,

lau.gif
I am replying to what you said about your "fake" eggs. I was having the same problem with my chickies throwing a couple of my fake eggs out a day, I would just pick them up and put them back in the nest. Ocassionaly I will have one on the floor now, but not that often. I'm stubborn
lau.gif
and tell them to keep them in the boxes, I think they think I'm crazy
lau.gif

Good luck
Tes

Thanks Tess,
Glad to know I'm not the only one with willfull chickens. This has been going on for about two weeks now - I have four boxes with the fake eggs and every day they're all over the floor. I admonish the girls about their lack of egg respect, but they're just like "Yeah, yeah, whatever - where's the treats?" One of my Gold-laced wyndottes is the one laying in the corner and she is one stubborn girl. I've raked up her nest, put boxes in the corner, etc., to discourage her from laying there. She just pushes the boxes out of the way. I think I'm just going to let her have her way - at least I know where the egg will be! Maybe I'll build a box over that spot - then I can say I won and she's laying in a box! LOL! Thanks for all the encouragement and the great informational posts everyone puts up. I'm learning so much.
Liz

lau.gif
gig.gif
:lau:gig:lau:gig

too funny!!!!! at least yours are laying
hit.gif
gig.gif
but, anywho, yes I would be the same way and just give into her and give her, her own little box... but then again... like silkie said, she will hide her somewhere else
gig.gif
:lau GOOD LUCK!!!!

Back
Top Bottom