Are these eggs fertile???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FiveHens, Nov 2, 2010.

1. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    So, if I've done my reading correctly, a bullseye on an egg means it's fertile, right?

So: are these fertile??
    Our hens HAVE NOT had contact with a rooster for three months. Shortly after that time period, I was definitely seeing the bullseyes. But if these are the same thing, it'd be a medical mystery. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a bowl of our eggs...note the marks on the egg on the left and the egg on top.

[​IMG]

This is a close-up of the egg on the left...sorry for the quality of the picture. [​IMG]

So, I'd be grateful for any imput [​IMG]

2. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    The photo on the bottom is fertile. That's the "blastoderm" or "blasto -- something"....i.e. the embryo.

3. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Can't wait to hear how a hen that hasn't had any contact with a rooster is still laying fertile eggs! [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I think eggs can be fertile up to 21 days after contact w/ a roo.. How long has it been??

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, I've heard a hen can be fertile with a rooster for up to 4 weeks. Those are fertile indeed.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:You are absolutely right! Hens can carry the ahhh rooster juice [​IMG] inside them for weeks. I have heard that 21 days is pretty close to when they are clear but I have also heard 6 weeks. I dont know for sure but I think that 3 week time line is more realistic.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Looked plenty fertile to me. My new layers are fertile already. I could be hatching barred rocks at the beginning of spring. Yay.

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm going to have to be on the fence here. I have some with the same bullseye appearance and I don't have a rooster, and have never had a roo. The closest roo is 4 miles away....

9. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that they have been in contact with a rooster for at least 12 weeks. They stay in a closed run, except for supervised free-range, and nobody else in our neighborhood has chickens anyway.

I cannot think that one of them may be a rooster...after all, we do get four eggs/day most days from four chickens, and I have never seen them mount eachother...if you guys are curious I can post pics of them all. I am curious, now, too.

Thanks for all the replies!

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

Luuuucyyyyy.... you got some 'splanin to dooooo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by