Are These Eggs From Same Chicken?? * Pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Nov 20, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    On Wednesday my DH let the girls out of the coop and Annie, our Red Plymouth was in the nesting box..Later on she was out and there was an egg in the nesting box..YIPPEE..SO WE KNEW IT WAS ANNIE...This morning I let the girls out and they all came out and there was an egg in the nesting box..YIPPEE...The first egg was lighter..Could Annie lay different shades of Brown or could it possible be one of the other 4 girls?
    [​IMG]

2. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    Did she just begin laying? When they start out there can be some variation.

3. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    YES first egg Wednesday and another egg today (Saturday)..all my girls will be 25 weeks on Monday

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My girls' shades are all over the map, sometimes lighter sometimes darker, sometimes with speckles, sometimes not, sometimes with lots of extra bloom, so those could easily be from the same chicken.

5. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    The shade of a hen's eggs will go through a cycle. They won't change color, but the intensity will change during the cycle. The very first eggs are often light colored or even misshapen. Then they will settle in to what will be their "normal" color, but over time they will get lighter and lighter in shade un til the end of the cycle and then it starts over again. OK, not explaining this well at all! But there are threads on BYC that explain this in detail and why it happens.

6. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think since they are all about the same age you have another egg layer. That seems like a big jump... in a short time, but I don't have as much experience as others on here, just know that I haven't seen that much variation in my hens.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If it was less than 24 hours since Annie first laid, I would suspect another layer.

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, it's possible, but my bet is two chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by