Are these eggs from the same chicken???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Duckee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Duckee

Duckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I have 4 EE's at point of lay (well one is supposed to be an olive egger). One has been squatting since jan 1 and another is showing other signs ( like wet stuff on her rump like my other hens that lay get). Three days ago i got my first small greenish egg, yesterday another of the same. Today i busted my squatting EE laying. That egg is more blueish much bigger and rounder. Could they be from the same EE? Or perhaps I have 2 EE layers now? The color of these eggs are richer that the picture portrays.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I would say you have at least 2 laying. The colour difference between the more blue one and the other two is too much to be from the same hen in my experience.
    Of the other two, in the photo they both appear to be the same hue...does that bear out in reality? One is a notably different shape, but that can happen with the first few eggs. The shape should standardise for that hen. The shape of the egg can be as identifying a factor as the colour for which hen laid it. I have some that lay really thin pointy eggs, a marans that lays a beautiful dark egg that is very round and her sister lays a slightly more oval egg that is not quite so dark. I love figuring out who laid what.

Anyway, congratulations to your girls.... they are beautiful eggs!

3. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Oh thanks, thats what i wanted to hear [​IMG] Now to find out which sly girl is laying those beautiful greens!

4. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Update: did some nest box babysitting and you are correct! [​IMG] I do have two EE's laying. And now I know which egg belongs to which bird! Thanks for responding.

5. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Let's hope all four are laying soon.

6. Duckee

Jun 11, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    My olive egger has been randomly singing the egg song and visiting the coop through out the the past two days, so hopefully i will have good news before the week is up. Having hens is like an Easter egg hunt every day [​IMG]

7. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Quote: Tell me about it! Mine normally free range and my daily egg hunt involves climbing ladders and crawling into/reaching into small inaccessible spaces.
    A couple of years ago I found a secret stash of 47 little pink and blue eggs from a mother and daughter team, who were still intent upon climbing the mountain of them and dropping another on the top. The only reason I found them was that one rolled off and hit the floor below. It was the middle of winter and I had just assumed they were not laying. Thankfully they were all still edible, so no waste, but I had a fortnight of eggs for breakfast lunch and supper!! That was when the ladder became a standard part of my egg collecting routine as their nest was up in the eves of an old stone building. They can be little monkeys for being sneaky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by