Are these eggs going to be still good?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammysam, Nov 29, 2009.

1. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    I'll be out of town for 3 days and wanted to know if eggs will still be good if left in nest box. They will have plenty of food and water and the temp. highs will be 81. Will the eggs still be good? Or should I throw them out?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Aloha and [​IMG]

Those eggs should still be good even left in a nest box at 81 degrees for 3 days. I've eaten older eggs left in hotter weather here in South Florida and they were fine. As eggs age their air pockets expand. So if you're doubtful about the age of an egg, set it in a glass of warm water. If it sinks, it's fresh, if it floats, it's real old, if it stands on end it's in-between. It's always a good idea to crack eggs one by one in a separate little bowl before adding them to the pan or mixing bowl, just in case they're spoiled, and also to keep eggshell fragments out of the food.

Still, you should try to get someone to come check on your chickens each day & collect those eggs. Even though you're leaving out sufficient food & water Stuff Happens to chickens and it's nice if someone can at least check on their welfare daily. As a return for the favor they can collect & keep some/all of the eggs. Sometimes leaving eggs uncollected is a temptation to other predators as well as for the chickens to begin eating their own eggs. That's a bad habit that's difficult for the hens to stop.

3. sammysam

sammysam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    hawaii
    Thanks for the very informative information. It is very helpful and I'll try to get someone to come and check on them daily. If not atleast I'll know how to check if the eggs are still good. My flock will be in a secured coop and run. But anything could happen. I just hope I can find someone.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well shucks, just supply the airfare and I'll be glad to come to Hawaii & chicken-sit your flock for you! You can stay away for months! It's fine with me! [​IMG]

Otherwise, it's probably easiest to ask a neighbor to come over once a day to make sure nobird has tipped over their food or water, or gotten their heads or legs stuck somehow, or a predator has done damage, etc. Most folks wouldn't mind just coming over to do a visual check, especially if they don't have to bother adding food or water. And especially if they are allowed to collect fresh eggs as a reward for their trouble. Just make sure they're diligent to close any doors or gates securely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by