Are these eggs good to eat?

kZorro

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
Rathdrum ID
I have chickens who free range and the eggs are collected in a wire basket and set on the bar above and back of the stove in the kitchen. A few times I have boiled water which created steam in large pots not even noticing the eggs being there. Well, my daughter-in-law broke open an egg that has been closest to the steam and the white was at the opaque stage. She immediately threw it away thinking it was bad but had a second thought-we really don't know. Can someone tell us if eggs (being left out with bloom intact) were exposed to steam and weren't put in frig would they bad to eat?

PouleChick

Crowing
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
:frowand :welcome I'd say if the egg is going to the opaque stage it has started cooking - steamed eggs! I'd be moving the egg basket away from the stove to stop that happening. If it was an eg you'd just 'steamed' nad opened it straight away and finished cooking it would be OK but as you dont' know if it was then or earlier I'd not be eating it!

kZorro

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
Rathdrum ID
Thank you; I will show my daughter-in-law this post and any others from people. I have steamed eggs to a hard-boil a few weeks ago; they were good. And I will remember to move the eggs when we steam anything! PouleChick, you confirmed how I think on using partially steamed eggs-better be safe than sorry. :)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
@PouleChick has covered it.
I'll just reiterate for your DIL.
Definitely do not store eggs near a heat source...
...not just when you steam things, but always.

Top Bottom