1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are these eggs good

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Nov 2, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok yesterday petunia sat on her egg and daiseys egg they laid yesterday she sat on them all day and got off this morning. my question is are these 2 eggs still good for us to eat?

2. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    We've collected eggs that have been in the nest for several days when we've gone out of town. Now we have not had a hen sitting on them other than to lay another(which for some seems to take forever) but during that time we were having 100°F day and at least 80-90° nights. All the eggs were good. I'd venture to say yours would be ok. The worst you'll see is the beginnings of development but even that should be very slight since it ws just a day.

3. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

If only been left in the nest for a day they are perfectly good to eat.
    Some people leave them out on the counter tops until they are ready to use them.

If ever in doubt you can use the float test. Submerge the eggs in water. If they float off the bottom - do not use- discard. If they lay or even point upward but still touch the bottom they are fine to eat.

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:wedont have a rooster so not worried about develpement. thanks

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:thanks that is good to know. i have never heard that before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by