1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these eggs normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Drosera, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Drosera

Drosera Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Henryville, Quebec
    My husband and I have been debating this for weeks. Amongst our flock are two Deckal-B sexlinks hens. One of them tends to lay egg as shown below.

My husband believes the spots are caused by blood getting into the shell, as in she has something wrong with her.

I think these spots are just a normal coloration of the eggs some hens lay.

In fairness, we have once found a couple of tiny blood spots in one of these eggs once. She got badly eggbound a few weeks ago.

Are these normal or not?

http://www.geocities.com/drosera9/egg1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/drosera9/egg2.jpg

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Normal - and not blood.

I actually have noticed an increase in those speckles if I happen to give my chickens anything with butter on it (like the veggie leftovers from kids plates)

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've seen several egg pictures posted that look just like that so it seems to be perfectly normal.

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    My eggs have those spots too!
    Brenda

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    My welsummers lay eggs with more of those spots and they're gorgeous. So say my egg customers. [​IMG]

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

In fact unhealthy hens will not have a lot of those on their eggs. That is a good sign. Not all hens will have spots like that, though.

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I have eggs in the bator like that and they are growing just fine. No need to worry.

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    I have a flock of about 80 girls and we get about half that look like this. Matter of fact our customers think they are cool looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by