Are these eggs still good? (Not-so-smart broody)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tellynpeep, Jul 24, 2010.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Twice now I have found my broody in the evening sitting in the wrong nest box. Another hen will go into her box to lay when she goes out for her daily "constitutional" and she will return to a different nest box, where she will spend the rest of the day. Her eggs are cool when I find them. Do you think they will still be viable? They have a week to go now. (And I thought my incubator was frustrating!)

2. silkieowner

silkieowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    where is the nest box? i found my broody silkie kept returning the the cloest nest box so what i did was put her nest box where the empty one was now she goes to right on all the time. So which ever nest box she seems to be favouring put her eggs in that nest.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That happens frequently when you don't separate the broody with her nest from the rest of the flock. Try doing that, and your problem will be solved, plus you won't have to contend with other hens adding eggs to the broody's clutch.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't really have a place to separate her from the rest of the flock. She's brooding in a nest box. Just wondering if these eggs will hatch!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Keep moving the eggs under her. I wouldn't give up on them yet.

6. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I feel for you cos I have a similar problem with my hen not doing this broody thing right, I have seperated her, but she has been brooding over another hens chicks, who is seperated in another broody coop lol... Mine are also due to hatch in a week.. all I can do is keep my fingers crossed... hope yours hatch for you

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Some might still be viable. You'll just have to wait and see. Good luck!

8. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Yes, this happens to me all the time. I come home every evening to put my broody back on the right nest. And I still get chicks.

9. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Wait till night time, take a small LED flashlight out there, and candle those eggs! Let us know what you find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by