Are these eggs still good?

Wabi Sabi

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
I went out of town for a few days and although we were able to leave out plenty of food/water for the hens no one collected the eggs. Upon getting home last night there were 5 days worth of eggs in the nest boxes. About half of them were just sitting in one box, the other half of the eggs were being sat upon by a little bantam who has decided to go broody! FWIW, we have no roosters so all of the eggs are unfertilized.

So, what's the verdict? Fine for human consumption or a big scrambled egg dinner for the dogs?

Usually eggs are good for a couple of days. I have left duck eggs in the barn for a while but me and my family have never gotten sick. So I'm pretty sure they're good. But as my mother always told me, "when in doubt, throw it out."
But I think you still might be able to eat them.
I hope I helped.
Sincerely,
Jackie

Absolutely OK! They have a natural protection from bacteria when they are laid which is the "bloom". It's there until you wash it off. Many of us, including myself don't even refrigerate our eggs from our own chickens. We keep them on the kitchen counter and use them at room temperature. How do you think the pioneers did it before refrigeration? Or people in Europe? Or third world countries?

They only refrigerate eggs in the US because of the egg industry. Your own eggs are much cleaner, safer and fresher, so you don't need to worry about it. If it makes you feel better, do the float test... If they float in water, they are bad.

Lisa

So, is there an average amount of time an egg can be kept at room temp?

Also, is this true of all eggs, specifically duck eggs?

Thanks!

Quote:
I agree
Yes someone said that your store boughton eggs are at least 45 days old..my neighbor said the same thing about washing the membrane off the eggshell it wont go bad till then. and when i was in Germany they did not refrigerate their eggs or milk.

Back
Top Bottom