1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these feathers normal? (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I gave my hen Red a full bath today. While I was baithing her in Dawn dish soap some of her feathers came out, I didn't think much of it at the time. Upon closer inspection of the feathers I noticed that they looked well........ wierd! I know she had some external parasites that is why she got the bath in the first place. And I didn't notice any (parasites) while I was drying her off so I think I got the worst of them off. But does anyone know what is going on with these feathers, is it from the parasites?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for anyone who remembers my Red's legs and feet here is what they look like now after being treated for legmites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    Mollie

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Can't anyone help?

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I have one with feathers similar to that. It's kind of a venecian blind effect. I attributed it to external parasites but maybe I should look for something else. This particular hen scratches herself a lot even though I've been battling the parasites like heck this year. I'm not sure about the feathers falling out easily though. I think that part needs to be investigated. Who knows, maybe it's a little anemia or something?

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Any body else have any ideas? Please!!!

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Red seems fine other than the fact that she was back to panting again today and it was not hot here. I'm not sure what that means...... I am tring soo hard to get her straightened out. I just wish I knew what to make of the feather issue... She is still limping and loves her special treat of the yogurt mash that I make her, shse also loves fruit now... I am hopeing that someone can come up with something....I am still new at this and don't know what to think... I tried to research it online but nothing says what the feathers could look like when there have been external parasites..
    Please?????

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Looks like lice eggs to me.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I just picked at une of the feathers to see what if anything would come off and most of them it seems as though the bottom of the feather is like a balloon in a sence. There wa a little bit of stuff that flaked of so it could paqrtially be lice eggs but I don't think that is all that is going on with these feathers. Some of the feathers that I found still on her that looked the same as the ones that came off were still inbedded in the skin but you could see that they were "ballooned" out like the others. I am still treating her fo the lice but could there be something else going on with the feathers?

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I don't know what else it could be other than lice. Hopefully someone can come along and help out a little more than I can.

9. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    In the photo it certainly looks like lice eggs. Lice lay clusters of eggs (which are hard and have a similar texture to pumice) at the base of the feathers. Over time these can become quite large. A clearer shot might help if you feel they're definitely part of the feather shaft itself. [​IMG]

regards
    Erica

10. chickadee2

chickadee2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Someone told me that chickens can not digest milk products. I had been giving yogurt and occasional cottage cheese. I can not imagine that this is the problem, but if it is true, it would be good to know. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by