Are these Gold Sexlink pullets or roos?

sideWing

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Utah
I was looking at pictures of sexlinks and noticed that all the light chicks were labeled as male and the darker chicks labeled female. My chicks are about 9 weeks old now.

Gold sexlinks are also known as red sexlinks right?

Do these light chicks look like pullets or roos?

Here they are as of a week ago.

Just want to make sure we are on the road to eggs and not chicken dinners for the next 16 weeks.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As chicks the definitely looked male but as they grew they are definitely pullets. Are you sure they are sex links ?

As chicks the definitely looked male but as they grew they are definitely pullets. Are you sure they are sex links ?
I'm sure they are yes. Could the lighter sex be determined by the mothers and fathers color? That sounds silly, but I mean depending on if the mother is the white chicken instead of the father. It's a small hatchery so they are not murray or other main sexlink mix. They called them a gold sexlink.

Last edited:
My red sex link chicks were very yellow also. Three of them sported pale buff "racing stripes" on each side of their backs, and one didn't. But they were definitely yellow. It was hard to tell them from the Buff Orpington chicks. The three with the stripes were pullets, the all-yellow one was a roo. With red sex links (or golden buffs, or golden comets, or red stars, or any of the other names they go by) that difference in color is a sex linked trait - only the girls have the stripes, even if they are faint.

The girls that those very handsome young men are holding look exactly like mine did at the same age - and they have been wonderful layers!

Edited to add: This is Charlie, the red sex link chick I mentioned, and again at about the same age. Beside him on the right is one of the red sex link pullets. I think you're safe, unless someone slipped Production Reds in the Red Sex Link bin. That's how I ended up with a Production Red Roo! <sigh>

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom