1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are these good chickens:-)???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickybuddy100, Jan 27, 2015.

1. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Hello I'm ordering new chicks soon and getting them this spring and these are the ones that I picked but are these good choices (I picked all brown egg layers because that's what I tend to like)I'm getting 1 of each ----'

BARRED ROCK
    BLACK AUTRALORP
    BLUE LACED RED WYANDOTTE
    BUFF ORPINGTON
    COLUMBIAN WYANDOTTE
    GOLDEN LACED WYANDOTTE
    NEW HAMPSHIRE RED
    PARTRIDGE ROCK
    RHODE ISLAND RED
    SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE
    WELSUMMER
    WHITE ROCK
    so are these good brown egg layers ????

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Those are good breeds. You've got a lot of variety there. What part of the country are you in?

3. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Yes those are all good breeds. All of those lay brown eggs and are rated from Good to Excellent as to amount of eggs they lay. Most of those are also fairly cold hardy. I have had most of those breeds myself here in upper Michigan.

I would suggest You might want to order a couple extra chicks in case a couple don't make it. If you end up with too many you can always sell a couple off.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    We have several of those breeds (Australorp, Buff Orpington, Silver Laced Wyandotte). They've done well together and don't blink at our mountain winters. Our Australorp is a vocal girl. She's also a great layer.

5. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I see no problems there assuming you are going for a variety of nice looking birds and like medium to large light to darker brown eggs! :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You'll have a beautiful mixed flock! They're all good layers, and all those breeds will do well weather-wise in any part of the US. Good choices.

7. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I have a variety of birds too but I would say the Buffs have always been the most friendly to the group and people along with the Laced Wyandotte. My Americanas while not as social are wonderful egg layers.

Good luck!

8. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014

thanks for the yay or nay

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by