Are these good eggs? Bad eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mychickshatched!, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Mychickshatched!

Mychickshatched! Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Oregon
    Hello there BYC people, just thought I'd ask for some help from my fellow chicken enthusiasts. I am currently incubating ten chicken eggs, and I candle them regularly. They're currently on about day nine. One of the eggs has a thick vein?vertically encircling the yolk and some of the white. It kind of looks like a viral ring or bacterial ring like I've seen pictures of, but the again it kind of doesn't. When i gently turn it around, some clear-ish, globby looking stuff shifts around. I can't see an embryo, or even a dark spot, and it doesn't really look like my other eggs. But, I already accidentally threw away a little silkie egg with a jelly bean sized embryo inside, and I felt awful, so I'd rather not do THAT again. So should I discard it? I'm including pictures so you can decide. I'm too indecisive after what happened last time I made that decision. Also, one of my other eggs has a very clear embryo that moves around, but there is kind of a clearing of veins around him? I know he is alive, but is he okay? And lastly, do the embryos sleep? Or should they always be swimming around a little bit? Thanks!

the embryo with vein clearing:
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1540.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1541.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1542.JPG
    the globby ring thing:
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1539.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1538.JPG

I'm horrible with computers, so I don't even know if these links will work,even if you copy and paste them into your browser. Will someone please explain to me how to post pictures on this site?
    THANKS SO MUCH!

2. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Mychickshatched! :

Hello there BYC people, just thought I'd ask for some help from my fellow chicken enthusiasts. I am currently incubating ten chicken eggs, and I candle them regularly. They're currently on about day nine. One of the eggs has a thick vein?vertically encircling the yolk and some of the white. It kind of looks like a viral ring or bacterial ring like I've seen pictures of, but the again it kind of doesn't. When i gently turn it around, some clear-ish, globby looking stuff shifts around. I can't see an embryo, or even a dark spot, and it doesn't really look like my other eggs. But, I already accidentally threw away a little silkie egg with a jelly bean sized embryo inside, and I felt awful, so I'd rather not do THAT again. So should I discard it? I'm including pictures so you can decide. I'm too indecisive after what happened last time I made that decision. Also, one of my other eggs has a very clear embryo that moves around, but there is kind of a clearing of veins around him? I know he is alive, but is he okay? And lastly, do the embryos sleep? Or should they always be swimming around a little bit? Thanks!

the embryo with vein clearing:
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1540.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1541.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1542.JPG
    the globby ring thing:
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1539.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101_FUJI/DSCF1538.JPG

I'm horrible with computers, so I don't even know if these links will work,even if you copy and paste them into your browser. Will someone please explain to me how to post pictures on this site?

THANKS SO MUCH!

go to photo bucket.com and make an account, then upload the pics to your album and when the curser moves over the photo after you upload it, a list should come up and then you click the direct link, and it should copy. then you come here and click the word-link button and you paste it where the your link here is. that is how i do it.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    On day nine you surely should be able to see something like a web of veins. Sometimes hard to see in a dark egg. At 9 days if all you see is a ring around the air pocket, it's probably no good..

If your pictures are in your pictures folder on your own computer, click on "uploads" at the top of this BYC page. Click on "browse". It will take you to your picture folder on your own computer.. Look for a picture and click on it. It will automatically bring you back to the upload page and press "upload". The pic will upload into your upload file on BYC.

To put in your post:
    On the word IMAGE under the photo , left click it, right click it, and slide the mouse down and click on COPY. Now you can carry it with you.

Go to your post. At the spot to type, right click, slide mouse down to PASTE, and there it is.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  4. Mychickshatched!

Oct 16, 2009
    Oregon
    the ring thing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voila, I suppose. Thanks for the help on that, you guys. Littleturkey, I was sorry to hear about "Dexter". I once lost twenty silkie eggs because of a power outage. Nothing quite as frustrating. I think I'll probably just get rid of my problematic egg. I don't want it to explode. Do rotten eggs actually do that?

5. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I wouldnt toss that one.....but I wouldnt candle so much no more than 3 times in a 21 day period...

6. Mychickshatched!

Oct 16, 2009
    Oregon
    I didn't toss the egg in the second picture, nor was I planning on it. I was just wondering about the first picture. All I can see is that one, thick, vein. Why would you minimize candling? So they don't get chilled and there is less chance of squishing or something? Just wondering. I've probably candled these guys... like three times? No more than three.

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I made the decision to not candle very often because I was worried that I was risking the little chick. The veins in there are so thin and delicate I am afraid my frequent candling may have caused many of my chicks to quit early with my first hatch. Not sure if that is really what happened but I am going to try to rule it out.
    It is recommended to candle at day 7, 14 and 18.

8. Mychickshatched!

Oct 16, 2009
    Oregon
    Ah. Makes sense. I will cut back on my candling. I want my chicks to have every bit of chances and good luck they can get. So excited for these little fluffballs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by