Are these good show chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by missychicky, Jul 2, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I am entering my chickens in the state fair for the first time and need help deciding which one(s) to enter. My library doesn't have a copy of the standerd of perfection (or whatever it's called) so I have some pictures of my chickens that you can comment on. Please give advice about which one(s) to enter and if you find something that would take off points about my chickens please let me know.

sparkle,my silver laced wynndotte

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amber, my ameracauna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

general red, I think she's a road island red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jasmine, my black austrolorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The only two breeds that I can really address from personal experience are the SLW and the RIR.

The SLW doesn't have either the correct body type or lacing. The RIR looks to be hatchery quality and not a true RIR which would be a much darker maroon red in color and also have a different body type.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If you're showing against birds bred towards the standard, you don't have a chance.

They are typical hatchery birds. Hatchery birds are bred for numbers. The better the production of eggs, the better the birds because the more chicks you can hatch out. Standards rarely play a part.

1. The body type is off, the tail angle is off, the lacing is poor.

2. Your "Ameracauna" is an Easter Egger. She does not fit the standard for an Ameracauna.

3. Your Rhode Island Red is what I call a production red. A bird that resembles a Rhode Island Red, but is neither dark enough nor stocky enough to be considered a true Rhode Island Red. All hatchery Rhode Island Reds are lumped into this category in my book.

4. Your black Australorp is sitting down and is therefor hard to judge, especially if she is broody. But, just looking at her, her eyes look to be too light and her tail and feathering is too tight. If she is broody, do not even bother taking her.

If you truly want to get into showing, do some research. The American Standard of Perfection is a book you need to purchase. If not for breeding towards the standards, than for good bathroom reading.

I am not trying to be mean, but I won't beat around the bush on this stuff. Believe me, it's easier being told this by a person over the internet instead of being told by the judge by getting a DQ (disqualification) or a NSQ (Not Show Quality) and your birds not judged.

If your birds are not being judged according to the standard and no standard-bred birds are present, your birds stand just as much chance as any other bird at the show.

cgmccary likes this.
  4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Well, they are all very nice birds for "backyard chickens" and pets. However, they are all hatchery birds so it really just depends on what kind of show your state fair is. If its a sanctioned show and not 4-H, they would not be considered good show birds and a APA/ABA judge would probably mark on the card "production bird" for the RIR at least if not all. They might do pretty good if there is nothing else in the class they are entered in, which would probably win them a 1st place ribbon if thats the case...if your happy with that great!The "Ameraucana" is a mutt, so not a real breed but a crossbred created just for pretty eggs. Like I said all very nice birds for pets and backyard birds but not for a "real" poultry show. 4-H on the other hand is a completely different story, and they might do pretty well as that just depends on how they are condition wise and to the point of lay (which is how my county fair is judged).

If your just wanting to show them for the fun of it, go for it, have a good time and look at all the pretty birds, get to meet other people and talk chicken with them! Its something everyone should try at least once. Its how I started, entering a hatchery bird in a sanctioned show and that taught me what judges look for in a show bird.

cgmccary likes this.
  5. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I am just doing this for fun so I don't really care what score thay get, but I am curios. Thanks for the info.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If you would like to show it is a great thing that you are asking about whether or not the birds you have meet some kind of standard for the breed. I don't think there is neccesarily anything wrong with showing poor quality birds as they relate to the standard in order to get some experience, but I will say I think there is also something to be said about honoring the show purpose and taking the best birds you can produce.

I think it will take you about one show (if you are truly interested in good poultry) to decide that getting some birds or eggs from a good breeder will be a lot more fun and certainly a lot more educational.

We need as many breeders of good quality heritage stock as we can get, you could be one of them.

7. Jayson_Black

Jayson_Black Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2017
    If it's your first time, don't even worry. Just take any bird and do it for fun and learning. While entering the show I am sure you will learn all the things you are asking. I say this because we are in the same boat. We have a rooster we are going to enter in our local show. We don't even know what breed he is, but we think he is beautiful (we will find his breed before we enter lol). But we hope to learn what we need, and maybe even purchase some egg's or hatchlings from other breeders at the show. Moreover. Those Ag Shows are like any other community group/club etc, in that the more people entering the more supported it is. Know what I mean. By simply entering, and paying your entry fees, you are helping the entire Community of Poultry enthusiasts and eggsperts ;) Pun intended!

momminallday and cgmccary like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by