Are these good signs of an egg soon??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blankchicken, Jul 29, 2014.

1. blankchicken

blankchicken In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    So I've been on edge waiting for my girls to start laying. Their combs have gotten bigger, redder, one did the submissive squat all day the other day. And every time I go in the morning it's my white leghorn standing up at all the nesting boxes. I've noticed they are kicking the fake plastic eggs out of the nesting boxes. Is that normal?
    Also this morning I noticed in one if the boxes it looked like one of them had made a circle, almost hole on the hay of their nesting box. Is this all really good signs they will be laying soon??
    I go and check 3 times a day in case they lay it later in the day!

2. mortie

mortie Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    If there isn't a pretty good sized lip on the box, the fake eggs may fall out. Normal. I have a high lip on mine but the golf balls were all the way out on the sides.

Once mine were making the circle nest in the box, she laid her first egg within 2 days. Hopefully you get an egg soon!

3. Big yellow

Big yellow In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Listen for the magical egg song! It will be here soon!

4. blankchicken

Feb 21, 2014
    Some if mine have great lips on the nest box, a couple are just does dresser drawers. I'm so excited for an egg!

5. blankchicken

Feb 21, 2014
    Oh my gosh, I came home from work, looked in the box...and there it was![​IMG]

6. Big yellow

Big yellow In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by