Are these good to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apocha14, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I gave some hatching eggs to an acquaintance and now she's saying the eggs have a low chance of survival because they're elongated and thin.. Neither of which is true.. Do these eggs look normal/hatch able?

2. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I can't see any reason why they shouldn't hatch. They look like eggs to me! If she hasn't started incubating them, I'd have her bring them back. It's not worth the argument. What's she out anyway, if the don't hatch? You GAVE them to her - it's not like she paid you mega bucks for them.

1 person likes this.
  4. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    The two on the lower left are a little elongated but the rest are fine.
    Does she not even want to try?

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They don't look especially elongated to me. I've hatched eggs of all shapes-a couple I could only tell what end was up by candling to see air cells because both ends were rather pointed. I did have one that was quite large that didn't hatch I believe was due to size and quality. I don't think it lost enough moisture and drown. Other than that I haven't had a problem with shape. I personally think those eggs are fine. (Shapewise.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    These aren't the exact eggs I gave her but from my hens so obviously very similar. She still set them but she basically insinuated they wouldn't hatch and that my hens were unhealthy. I have some in the incubator now on day 8 and they all are perfect as of now. She said when they're elongated they have less of a chance of survival... And that the reason for their off shape could be poor diet and or parasites... Everything I read said that hens will lay their own shaped eggs...

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have to wonder - if she thought they were not good hatching eggs, why did she take them in the first place? Since she's an acquaintance and not necessarily a friend, I'd just let it go, let her go, and enjoy your chicks when they hatch. That's just me. I don't have time for that kind of person in my life.

8. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Haha yea I'm not sure why she would take them. I'm not talking to her anymore but I was just worried about my hens.

9. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    I wouldn't be stressing about your hens if those eggs are what they normally produce - look like pretty typical eggs to me!

10. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Thank you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by