Are these guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Agilityscots, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi everyone!

I need help identifying these birds. They showed up in my yard today, a total surprise. There were two, and they had made a nest next to my driveway under a large shrub. They were VERY noisy and also seemed kind of stupid (no offense to guinea owners if that's what these are!). They also seemed completely at home picking at the grass in my yard and weren't scared of my chickens--went right up to their run! They also didn't like us, but they didn't seem afraid of us until we got really close. They had obviously been exposed to humans.

Because we weren't sure what they were, and because a hawk almost nailed one right in front of us, we chased them to the back of our property and haven't seen them. Are they guineas? Or peafowl? They had no head feathers, and they had tiny white specks all over their otherwise gray bodies. They didn't fly, they ran.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amy

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    guinea's!!!!!! pearl ,color

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  3. KaoticKritters

KaoticKritters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2007
    Franklinton,ky
    Looks like you found a pair of Gineuas great yard alarms

4. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Bwaaah! Too bad I ran them off my property! I had no idea what they were (the only guineas I'd ever seen were solid gray and didn't have that white face). I don't know where they went...oh well.

Amy

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    that be pear guins.i love when they start making a rukus.

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    my neighbor has a flock of about 20 or so that roam over his, mine, and my nextdoor neighbors property. I love watching the guineas, my 4yo daughter always yells "MOM, the guineas are here!!" LOL I think they look like they are wearing clown make-up.

They keep our yard pretty tick free too!!

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My cousins neighbors are selling there house and abandoned there flock of guineas now there are only two left I was thinking of catching them and moving them to our house but I think my neighbors would be mad LOL I live in the burbs.

Henry

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Yep, they be guineas! I have 3 pearl guinea hens, and they never cease to bring me to laughter. They are the most primal or primitive thinking animals I've ever encountered. They don't process anything logically. They can be 2' from the gate, see the other guineas & chickens on the other side, and will repeatedly throw themselves against the fence to try to get through. Eventually they may wander a few more steps to the Right, see the gate open, and go "oh, yeah....I forgot." They are STRONG fliers even with clipped wings, so if you do decide to get some, get young ones and KEEP THEM IN THE COOP or enclosure for at LEAST a month. This won't guarantee they'll never leave, but it'll give you a better chance of keeping them! [​IMG]

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    They're guineas and from the photos of the wet feathers along the bottom of the birds, I'd say they went swimming somewhere.

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:Stupid is a nice way of saying it, I have a flock of 4 males(all the hens got killed) and they are completely and utterly retarded.........

I have been keeping guineas for 5 yrs now, I love their calm chirps and chatter and looks. Could live without the alarm call which they only use when me and my family sit in the yard, the coyotes can go right up and grab a bird and the owl broke in the coop killing a few as well and no one even makes a peep......

They are the most primal or primitive thinking animals I've ever encountered. They don't process anything logically. They can be 2' from the gate, see the other guineas & chickens on the other side, and will repeatedly throw themselves against the fence to try to get through. Eventually they may wander a few more steps to the Right, see the gate open, and go "oh, yeah....I forgot."

So true, mine would freak if i try to herd them towards that open door and rather run towards me screaming then towards the door........

I have also been told quite a while ago that you need at least a dozen guineas for at least one to remember on its own that they have wings and could fly over that fence, I found that to be very true as well.

Anna​

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by