Are these guys pullets or roos? Lots of pics.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Squishypuff, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    These guys are 5 weeks old, give or take. The two white are CornishX from TSC, the black just said "Black sex link" on the bucket (I tried to pick the ones with yellow dots on their heads, as I read someplace), and the other two are Speckled Sussex. I think that one of the SS and one of the black ones are roo, but I am not at all sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have 16 Silkie chicks that are 2 weeks old. I only lost one of them after shipping, and they sent 2 extra, so I'm happy so far. I have white, blue, and splash. These are my first Silkies, but they are insanely cute. I doubt they're very impressive specimens, but I love them and don't plan to show. I also have 6 EE beauties I got from TSC. I'm no longer allowed in the store without my husband! I know these guys are too young to tell, just wanted to share the cute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I guessing one rooster, the cornish.

3. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I was thinking that about the Cornish too, but was not sure. They look nearly identical, the one has slightly smaller comb. I guess their being roosters won't much matter, they are not going to be around long!

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    the speckled sussex in the first pic is a roo for sure. The black sex links are female, as they are mostly black, the males would be barred. You did well.

5. Squishypuff

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Thank you! I really appreciate the help. I'm very new to the whole chicken thing. A few years ago we had a pet chicken, and she was wonderful. Loved her to death- unfortunately literally. we did not know that with the CornishX, they need to be butchered. She lived about a year. I feel so guilty about that. Really broke our heart to lose her, so we're really enjoying doing it the right way this time. The CornishX we have now will be dinner, not pets.

6. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Oh that is so sad! Enjoy these - I know you will LOVE the sussex and the silkies. They will all make great pets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by