1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are these guys ready for the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimmythechicken, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we have 4 baby chicks not sure on age maybe 6 weeks 2 blue orps an 2 lavender orps.do you think i cant put them out in the coop with no heat it is 75-85 durning the day an in the 50's at night
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one of the lavenders is alot smaller then the rest looks like a runt we call her tiny

2. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    50s might be a little cool for them at night. I keep a red heat lamp available for the girls to use if they get chilly. Otherwise they can hang out on the other side of the hen house where it is cooler.

3. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    They look ready to me. At 6 weeks they should be feathered out. Temp starts at 95 and is lowered 5 degrees each week until they are feathered....Mine are okay, but you could do a red lamp at night for awhile..

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The general rule of thumb is 90 to 95 the first week, dropping by 5 degrees a week until such time they are down to 70 degrees (end of week 5) (here's the part that is often forgotten) at which time they can normally do without supplemental heat.
    If they are already off their heat lamp, they can go out into a draft free, dry coop. Where you'll run into trouble is putting them out in a cold coop when they are used to a warm and toasty brooder heated by a lamp.

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

look ready to me [​IMG] Good luck little guys [​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I agree, as long as you've got a good draft free coop, they are ready to go!

7. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    thanks everyone i think i will put them out on thursday night i will the heat lamp out there for them to make sure they have enough heat at night.

8. kjhowe77

kjhowe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Broome County, NY
    I put mine out last week at 6 weeks and they are doing fine! The love having room to run.

9. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    Quote:great to hear jimmy! keep us updated on how they are doing. we love to see more pics!
    [​IMG]

-=CG=-

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Please PLEASE be sure to attach a heat lamp in at least two ways in the coop. For example, hang by a chain, but also a zip tie. Coop fires do happen and they are tragic and easily preventable.
    IMO, really it's best to get them off the heat as soon as possible. It's healthier for them to acclimate early. They'll be able to withstand anything mother nature throws at them this winter. It's also safer. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by