Are these hens or roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Alpinemama, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Alpinemama

Alpinemama New Egg

Sep 8, 2012
    These are two of my brown leg horn chickens they are 6 months old I am not sure if they are roosters or hens since they look the same. Can anyone help? Thanks [​IMG]

t[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I am having the same problem with my white leghorns! When they were younger they were identified on here as both pullets but now at 5 months old even though they still both look pretty much alike, it seems one of them is growing a bit bigger and the other one has been laying an egg a day for 2 weeks now. I am beginning to wonder if the one not laying may be a rooster or if it is going to be longer for it to start laying. They hatched at the same time.

3. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Your are both pullets, look totally different at that age. These are from cackle's website. Hope this helps [​IMG]

Cock
    [​IMG]

Hen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I thought Leghorns had white ear lobs, and by 6 months shouldn't they be white? Could those be Welsummers and not Leghorns? Either way they are pullets.

5. Alpinemama

Alpinemama New Egg

Sep 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone. When I bought them I was told they were brown leg horn. I am new to this so I was going by what I was told. I will look into it though ans see if they are something else.[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That was my thought, too. Either they're Welsummers or leghorn crosses. The pictured bird looks to have almost some muffs, or feathers covering the earlobe area?

Breed notwithstanding, those are females. Leghorns will give you white eggs, Wellies a dark brown/terra-cotta egg.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    You have Welsummer pullets that will lay nice dark brown eggs for you.

8. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Wow I missed that white earlobe by a mile. Still learning!!! At least I got the sex right, that is the important part [​IMG]

9. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Okay so I have to say I am still learning myself. I do have two 19.5 week old Wellies and I thought those two a lot a like my girls but I wasn't 100% sure. I find it SO odd that breeds can look so very similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by