Are these hens penciled?

Egg Snatcher

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 11, 2020
SW Missouri
I have four of these hens that I think are penciled. All four hens are different shades. Are they penciled, if not can you tell what color please.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@sylviethecochin could you tell what the mom has in her?

I think, looking at the size of your hand in the picture, that she's a bantam cross. Her feet are white, not yellow, so at least one of her parents was probably white-skinned (though egg-laying can affect foot colour.) Neither of her parents had blue shanks. Both of her parents likely had a single comb, and neither of them had white earlobes.

Given her colours, I suspect that her father was silver-based, and the mother was gold-based (Since she has browner leakage on her feathers, one of her parents was probably gold-based. And gold and silver are sexlinked, so if the cross was the other way 'round, she'd be fully red.) but I can't tell you much else.

Do you have any idea of the potential parents? Given what I can see of her, I could narrow down a list, but I do need somewhere to start.

Badly marked silver wheaten.

Looks like Mum might have been a silver Columbian--which is based on the wheaten pattern. I have a couple of similarly-coloured silver duckwing OEGb x red wheaten cochin crosses running around.

Back
Top Bottom