Are these hens safe to buy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 2, 2012.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    My buddy is fed up with his chickens not laying and is wanting to sell them. He has 10 and they havent laid any eggs at all for over two months. His mom next door has 30 hens and they are laying VERY few eggs. Is it possible that their flocks have some kind of disease? I have 18 hens and I get around a dozen a day. He also recently got a few more dogs, if they were stressed cause the dogs would they all stop laying?

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Stress can be a contributing factor as well as recent molt, I saw a poll here that indicated after molt most hens will not lay for 2 to 3 months, combined with short winter days.

do you know how old they are?

Roberth

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have any idea how old they are? Unless they are old, burned out hens, egg production should soon start to pick up -- daylength is increasing. If the price is RIGHT, it's worth taking a chance on them.

4. Chili22

Chili22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    What breed are they?

5. HIS Paintbrush

HIS Paintbrush Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    fddf
    Ok, when it comes to chickens the most important factor is production. Some may disagree with me but I've been down the road of buying fancy chickens of all kinds, most overpriced and yeah they're perdy and all but when you need eggs and you are feeding a bird that consumes more feed than most any type of poultry, you need eggs, seriously. I raise ornamentals, turkeys, peafowl, waterfowl, ect and chickens are the priciest to feed. They may be too old, anything over a year and a half begins to taper off in production. Breed is very important also. You want Rhode Island Reds, Red Sex Links, Black Sex Links, and Black Australorps for brown eggs, Or White Leghorns for white eggs. Plain and simple a chicken should lay an eggs. If its that questionable, I would pass, but good luck Daniel[​IMG].

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Most likely they are just taking a break. Mine went almost two months with no eggs and now I get about an egg or two 4-5 days a week. I just have a small backyard flock.

7. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    My father found a woman who was tired of her hens not laying so he bought them for a great price. The hens have turned out to be some pretty good layers. I think it is all about environment...if they don't feel safe, if they are on a bad diet, if they just don't feel happy they will have problems laying. I say check out the situation, and if it seem like something is off thats probably the reason. You can usually tell if a hen is sick by just picking one up and giving her a good look. Probably the most common reason of the entire flock not laying would be a coccidosis outbreak when they were younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by