1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken_Newbee, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Chicken_Newbee

Chicken_Newbee New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    Some of you thought these were hens and I am begining to wonder. They are facing and kicking each other. They are acting like roosters. My other hens have never done that! Is this something RIR do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    they are hens, and yes. even hens will fight occasionally. Chicks too

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

My RIRs are the feistiest of all my birds.

4. Chicken_Newbee

Chicken_Newbee New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    Wow, I walked out to feathers a flying and my border collie trying to get involved.

5. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Yikes! Better watch those 2 (and your dog). I would seperate them, but make sure they can see each other so they get used to each other.
    Yes, they are both hens.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I heard that some kind of game chickens were used in the development of RIRs. This may account for their feistiness.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The first one looks like a roo to me. I see saddle feathers and the beginning of sickle feathers in the tail. Keen Hackle feathers as well, all spells roo to me loud and clear!
    How old are these birds?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. Chicken_Newbee

Chicken_Newbee New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    They were rescued about 3 weeks ago. The first one, the comb is flopped over and is now starting to turn rose. The second one also had a flopped comb but it seems to be getting straighter. I think 4 months if I compare them to my other chickens.

9. Chicken_Newbee

Chicken_Newbee New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    The sickle feather just showed up today. They do alot of grooming and I see alot of feathers in the cope. So I think it is just loose feathers on the tail

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:I heard that some kind of game chickens were used in the development of RIRs. This may account for their feistiness.

Malays. Oriental gamefowl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by