1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these langshans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady Chickadee, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I got a pair of what I was told were langshans.The pullet has a single comb(which langshans have) but the cockerel does not. I wanted some big chickens and these are big but are still young and I'm hoping they get bigger. I was just wondering if they're langshans or not or if they're just bad quality langshans? That would be okay though because I'm just keeping them to replace a mean rooster I had in my free range flock, I won't be breeding them or anything. Oh and they do have feathered legs.

Here are pictures of my new beauties:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Sorry if they're not good my camera's battery was dead and I had to use my phone)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They could be Langshans, the rooster could be mixed with Wyandotte for that rose comb. Congrats on getting them! They are beautiful!

3. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Thank you! I got some better pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    They definitely have some Langhsan in them but I doubt the hen is pure. What color are her legs? The roo is definitely a mix. I agree, possibly with wyandotte...

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hello! Thanks for PMing me, sorry...I'm never on here anymore.

Now, as for these birds, there "may" have been Langshan in there at some point, but the yellow legs, beak and skin lead me to believe that Brahma is much more likely. Langshans are white skinned. When a Langshan is bred to a yellow-skinned bird, the offspring will be white-skinned. The male and female look to be mixes. I would say a Brahma mixed with another breed at this point, possibly a Wyandotte?

But now that I look closer, they look more like Cochin x Wyandotte. They have more heavily feathered legs than a Brahma cross would have. Also a modified pea-comb would be seen with a Brahma as a parent instead of the tight rose comb.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The rose comb, leg color, seriously un-Langshan like body type, - All point to something else, considering yellow legs are recessive, I'd say those are Wyandotte x Cochin. Rosecombs are dominant to single, too.

7. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Rodriguezpoultry, thanks for replying and reading my PM.The cochin part would explain their really fluffy bottoms[​IMG]!I just hope they get big, or bigger! I just wanted a big roo to put with my girls. [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    He's got lots of growing left to do! He'll probably be about the size of a large Cochin. Have fun with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by