1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these Lavender Orphingtons and how old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abbeyf, Aug 24, 2013.

1. abbeyf

abbeyf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Eastern US
    I purchased these from a lady off craigslist. She sold them as Lavender Orphingtons around 5 months old. That was a month ago, so they may be 6 months? She was just guessing as she had purchased them 2 months prior. I really haven't thought they looked like orphingtons, but they have started to fluff out recently. I just love them, they are so sweet, even the rooster!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They are lavender, one roo three hens for sure. Would say age is a little off, maybe 4/5 months as of now.

If you were expecting orps with the huge bellies, be aware that 'quality' varies a LOT. Hatchery stock tends to look like yours, the expensive, show bred lines are often the ones that get all the pictures over the internet while the very different looking hatchery stock are what's easily available.

3. abbeyf

abbeyf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Eastern US
    Ok thank you! That is very helpful. I live in eastern nc, we have another 6 weeks at leasr of summer weather, do you think I can expect eggs this year? Ive read that if it gets too close to winter before they are of age, that they'll wait till spring.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Ah, sorry can't help with that.. southern California here.. we don't know what winter is. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by