are these leghorns or white rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hawtchick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ok, so I had assumed I have leghorns, since I was told that was what the grain store had given me, but my girls lay brown eggs, not white. I also thought my roo was a leghorn, but when I have seen white rock roos he seems to be thicker like them. He's a stocky guy.

anything I need to look for or are the eggs the dead give away. I am new at this and I am trying to learn as much as I can. thanks!!

Jess

2. Chicken Freak

Chicken Freak Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    The eggs are definately a dead give away. They are either White Rocks or White Rock Crosses.

3. littleridgefarmer

littleridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    Mountains of NE Alabama
    Sounds like a dead giveaway on the eggs honestly. White Rock are good layers of brown eggs. Do you have other leghorns?

4. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Nope, no other leghorns. I just always thought they were leghorns until I read that leghorns lay white eggs, then I realized I was misinformed.
    We have a NH red and some golden comets (are those red sex links?) Not the NH but the GC?
    This is all new to me.
    thank you.
    jess

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Leghorns have white earlobes, which (oddly enough) in most chickens indicates that they will lay white eggs. I think there is only one exception to this rule.

What color earlobes do your hens have?

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Golden Comets are a type of red sex link, yes.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think white leghorn hens have combs that flop over right.Someone correct me if I have mistaken.I don't have a clue about rocks though.

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    A laying leghorn pullet will have a big red comb that flops over. She'll have white earlobes, and a thinner, finer body than a rock. She'll have yellow legs that turn white after she's been laying for a while. Her tail will be longer than a white rock's, and when she's standing alert, the feathers will make a vertical fan. They're beautiful, and very different than a white rock, whose body will be thicker and fluffier, with a much smaller tail and comb, and red earlobes.

But the eggs are definitely a giveaway. Leghorns will never lay brown eggs, not even brown leghorns [​IMG].

9. gckiddhouse

gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    my experience with buying chicks at a feed store is similar. I thought I was buying brown leghorns and cal. whites (1/2 leghorn 1/2 cal. gray). I thought this because that is what they told me at the feed store. What I ended up with was 1 cal. white, 2 sex links (one of which turned out to be a roo) and 3 speckled sussex (not brown leghorns)! They didn't have a clue what they were selling me. From another store, I got "Ameracaunas" which lay cream eggs. obviously they are not true Ameracaunas, but easter eggers.
    Not only did I not get what I was told (which turned out to be fine), but some of the chicks were sick and made others sick. Several died, etc.. I would not buy chicks at a feed store again. They don't know what they are doing. Both feed stores were very reputable and lots of people recommended them.
    Anyway, all that to say, I am not surprised that you didn't get what you thought you were getting.
    Enjoy your white rocks![​IMG]

10. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:To be fair, all hatcheries call their EE's Americanas or Auracanas, and feed stores get their chicks from hatcheries. So the employees probably thought they were Americana's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by