Are these light Brahmas or a mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tres-gallinas, Feb 1, 2012.

1. tres-gallinas

tres-gallinas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    I am very new to chickens! I was told that 16 were all light brahmas about 7mo old. 3 of them don't have the black tail feathers, are slightly smaller, and no leg feathers like the rest. Are they just younger or a mixed breed? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. tres-gallinas

Jan 18, 2012
    Also, through some digging on here, found that my 3 RIR's seem to really be Red Stars, but love them anyway![​IMG]

3. tres-gallinas

Jan 18, 2012
    Sorry, I've posted this in the wrong category. I'm new to the BYC as well.

4. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Um it looks to me that you have a light brahma but it may be a little durty [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    [​IMG]
    Your chickens look like my light brahmas - the top one just appears to have lost her tail feathers (molted maybe?). All of mine have leg feathers, though to varying degrees. Not sure about your RIR/Red Star - I have no experience with them.

Here are some of my light brahmas (hatchery birds) - (the brown ones are speckled sussex):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The white ones are Light Brahmas. If you got them from a hatchery (or feedstore, they get them through hatcheries), they usually mix other breeds in here and there, for odd reasons, so the genes from those breeds may have affected your girls and caused them to not have leg feathers.

The red one is a Red Star/Red Sexlink/et al, you can tell by the white leakage in her feathers. Rhode Islands are a dark mahogany color, Production Reds (hatchery "RIR") are lighter, and RSL have white leakage.

7. tres-gallinas

Jan 18, 2012
    yes, they were enjoying their "dirt" baths this morning.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    X2

9. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I think they're brahmas...

10. Let the brahama expert step in (LOL [​IMG])

Ive never had a grown brahama but those are brahamas. and they both look like roos, i know you didnt ask but still figured i might say. Their handsome!! Im so glad i got some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by